Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Focus, focus, uh..


I've led a pretty stressful life. Between work, kids, hobbies that turn into second jobs, family, finances, etc, etc, etc, there has always been an endless supply of stress in my life. I have found through trial and error that diversions from the required task(s) are amazing at helping to relieve that stress. In fact, the pros have advocated healthy diversions as a stress reliever and productivity enhancer for quite some time.

I like this bit from Managing Stress by Brian Luke Seaward:
"While psychologists and stress-management counselors caution against the hazards of avoidance, the practice of diversions has often been advocated as a bona fide coping strategy. Healthy diversions are any activities that offer a temporary escape from the sensory overload that can produce or perpetuate the stress response. Diversions offer the conscious mind a "change of venue" to promote clear thinking. Taking your mind off a problem, or removing an issue from conscious attention for a designated period of time, and diverting attention to an unrelated subject focuses the mind and enables it to deal better with these issues upon return. As with most strategies, diversions offer either positive or negative repercussions. Positive diversions are those in which the individual takes an active role in the escape process. (An example of a passive escape is watching television or sleeping.) Active escapes are those that contribute to one's identity, character, and self-esteem. With this in mind, the best temporary active escape is said to be a hobby, the pursuit of a leisure interest that provides pleasure (Kaplin, 1960)."
With that in mind, I can think of no better hobby for this purpose than sex. Sex with myself, sex with my partner, and to really boost the self-esteem, sex with others. Nothing feels quite as nice as being desired, and that amazing whole body tingle that comes from even the lightest touch from a partner (or partners) with whom sex is new. So I suppose it's fair to say that my primary hobby is sex. I should update my resume.

5 comments:

Get8More said...

I am so damn STRESSED that I have been acting like a jerk at home lately. I really do think that having a open sex outlet would do me (and my wife) a WORLD of good. Too bad that this is not happining in my world...

Get8More said...

ps...

You do not have to publish this comment but I just wanted to send a personal note to say thank you for your post. ;)

Athena said...

I'm sorry to hear that! You are obviously in need of some healthy diversion. I might suggest you make it up to your wife for being a jerk by going into courting mode. It probably sounds ludicrous, but if you treat her like you're trying to get her to fall in love with you, you may just have very rewarding results!

dirtyboy said...

Funnily enough, my primary hobby seems to be sex too - oh well, noot such a bad hobby to have ;)

Athena said...

You're very welcome for the post! Thank you for reading! =)